For many businesses, running a data facility on-site can be an expensive and time consuming overhead that takes management and technical staff away from driving the business forward. Costs associated with an in-house data centre facility can range from capital costs for data centre plant and equipment, costs and time required to negotiate with landlords and telecommunications companies, as well as the need for in-house staff with skills to manage the facilities and the physical security of company data.
Many of these costs can inflate as systems and businesses grow, and often an organisation can be faced with a large “step” cost to increase capacity or enhance security and resilience
NaviSite can alleviate these key issues for companies through its colocation service. Some of the benefits that can be gained from colocation are:
- Lowered Costs: There are many initial and recurring costs to running a data facility on-site. As a datacentre provider, NaviSite can leverage much larger investments in resilient infrastructure and sophisticated environmental controls to optimise system performance. Colocation can therefore help businesses increase profitability by cutting back on these costs whilst ensuring that company equipment and data resides in a centre with all the necessary measures in place to guarantee security and improve resilience. By choosing a provider with the capaciity to allow your infrastructure to grow incrementally or shrink if circumstances change, organisations can also avoid sudden large increases in cost, or avoid redundant spend, as their needs change.
- Retaining control: Often businesses will want to benefit from all of the advantages of hosting offsite, whilst at the same time keeping control of their applications infrastructure themselves. With colocation services, NaviSite maintains the power, environment and security policies and provides the physical space to house all of your equipment; and control of the applications and infrastructure remains with the businesses in-house team.
- Security – the process of securing organisations’ data begins with the physical controls around access to the systems that host that data. It can also be true that the best way to secure certain data is to keep it on equipment that the organisation owns, perhaps encrypted in a way where only in-house resources hold the encryption keys. A secure data centre facilitates strong physical controls around data access.
- Support: NaviSite can provide expert staff that can be on site 24/7, all year round. The value of this extended service is particularly important when it underpins global businesses whose clients require a real time, secure service around the clock and across time-zones, and who often experience spikes in demand during high profile events during the year.
- Flexibility: With NaviSite, enterprises can keep their investment into IT equipment relative to their needs. Whilst hosting their existing equipment in a highly secure, resilient datacentre using NaviSite colocation services, they also have the option of extending this IT portfolio with NaviSite managed hosting and cloud resources, making it easier to ensure that should the business grow or shrink, that they can scale their IT resources up or down and marry their costs to their needs.
As a colocation provider, it is important to take a holistic approach to understanding the unique and rigorous requirements of our client’s business. NaviSite is able to offer its clients a range of OPEX based services covering managed hosting, managed application services and cloud services in addition to colocation services from the same data centre. This allows the delivery of a much more flexible and optimised solution, which can meet business requirements today and into the future.