An Incredible Week at Microsoft Inspire 2019 – Modern Workplace Virtualization
Several of the Navisite product managers, along with Microsoft partners from around the globe, gathered in Las Vegas at Microsoft Inspire 2019 to celebrate the successes of the Microsoft partners and to envision the year ahead for Microsoft.
At Inspire 2019 Microsoft announced a range of strategic investments, programs and exciting product news around Azure and AI, Teams and Office 365, and so many more. This blog will highlight some of the exciting announcements around Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD).
Click here to read about some of the exciting new Windows Modern Workplace security announcements.
Modern Workplace Virtualization: Microsoft Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) is a comprehensive solution that offers virtual desktops and application virtualization within Microsoft’s Azure cloud services. There are several reasons why an organization would adopt cloud-based virtualization to help scale their Modern Workplace environment:
- Cost reduction – WVD enables organizations to cost-effectively provide a robust desktop experience with less cost than a traditional physical desktop and no CapEx costs
- Cloud adoption – WVD helps reduce physical footprints and encourages customers to adopt a cloud-first approach
- Flexibility – WVD can be used to help drive your Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) programs and provides the scalability to service seasonal and frontline workers
- Performance – WVD provides rich performance for demanding apps via GPU-enabled desktops, and leverages the features within Azure to seamlessly scale to handle demanding workloads
- Compatibility – WVD enables customers to migrate older desktop platforms to the cloud for additional Microsoft supportability (see “Note on Windows 7 Desktops” at the end of this blog)
Windows Virtual Desktop has several very interesting features that make it a compelling choice for desktop virtualization:
- WVD delivers the only multi-session native Windows 10 experience
It’s no longer necessary for providers to offer a virtualized Windows Server and configure it for a desktop experience.WVD provides a better user experience with a Windows 10 desktop that users trust and have familiarity with.
- WVD is optimized for Office 365 ProPlus applications
This ensures users will have the same experience with the common Office 365 applications that they have today on physical desktops.
- WVD includes FSLogix technology
FSLogix provides a robust roaming profile experience, supports easy management of desktop images, and provides the ability to securely use Java.This means that the end users will have the same customizations and experience on their cloud desktop that they were accustomed to on their physical desktop.
- WVD needs just minutes to deploy and scale
The WVD desktops and resources are located in Microsoft’s Azure cloud and can quickly deployed and instantly scaled to meet an organization’s evolving requirements.
- WVD provides the best value for virtualized desktops
Microsoft is able to leverage their existing investments in Azure and other technologies to provide a very rich desktop experience at a very compelling price.
- WVD offers maximum flexibility
WVD will support Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2012 R2 and later.
Windows Virtual Desktop is currently in early preview at Microsoft. We expect WVD to enter general availability towards the end of 2019 calendar year. Navisite will be ready to offer customers a comprehensive WVD service that features solution design services, onboarding, 24x7 technical support, and a robust managed service that handles all of the control plane and policy configuration that you need to extend virtualized desktops and application experiences to your user community.
Note on Windows 7 Desktops: Microsoft will stop delivering critical updates for the Windows 7 operating system in early 2020, but if the Windows 7 desktop is migrated to a Windows Virtual Desktop, Microsoft will continue to offer support until 2023. This ensures that your legacy applications will continue to function and won’t be subject to security vulnerabilities or risks. Navisite can help you enable WVD with Windows 7 and offer you world class support and WVD policy management.
We look forward to being your trusted advisor for the Microsoft Modern Workplace tools and enabling you to get the full value of your technology investment. To learn more about the services offered by Navisite, visit our Productivity and Collaboration page, contact us, or call us at (888) 298-8222.