Weekly Cloud Provider News – Amazon EBS Fast Snapshot Restore, Azure SQL Database Optimization, Google Traffic Director and VMware NSX Advanced Load Balancer
Each week, we highlight the latest cloud provider news from the industry’s top providers. This week, Amazon EBS enables Fast Snapshot Restore on shared snapshots, Amazon goes interactive with Detective VCP flow, Microsoft increases maximums for Azure SQL database pools, Google directs traffic for service mesh, and VMware unveils NSX Advanced Load Balancer for enterprises.
- Amazon EBS has enabled Fast Snapshot Restore (FSR) on shared snapshots. FSR allows customers to avoid the need to pre-warm volumes following a restore operation, such as a Disaster Recovery incident. It is available on public and private EBS snapshots, and simplifies and accelerates the process of restoring from a snapshot, which reduces costs and complexity. Read more here.
- Amazon Detective now enables customers to interactively examine Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) network flows. This new capability answers questions such as “what port or network service was in use at that time?” This detail helps analysts investigate Amazon GuardDuty findings, examine unexpected network behavior, and identify other potential security issues. Get more details here.
- Microsoft has optimized Azure SQL Database by increasing the maximum degree of parallelism for new single database and database pools. This increase enables higher workload performance and reduces unnecessary resource utilization. IT teams will be able to provision smaller Azure SQL Database instances that will have more capacity to perform all of the functions of a larger, more costly instance. This will help enterprises reduce costs as they look to migrate workloads to the cloud. Learn more here.
- Google announced Traffic Director, a Google Cloud-managed control plane which supports proxyless gRPC services. With Traffic Director, customers can bring proxyless gRPC applications to their proxy-based service mesh or even have a fully proxyless service mesh. It allows organizations to easily deploy global load balancing across clusters and VM instances in multiple regions and offload health checking from the sidecar proxies. Read more here.
- VMware announced NSX Advanced Load Balancer, an enterprise-grade load balancing and application security platform built on cloud-native principles and delivered entirely as software. The platform provides local and global load balancing, web application firewall (WAF), application analytics, and Kubernetes ingress services across any data center or cloud. Get more details here.
If you have any questions about these product updates and how they can optimize your environment, please contact us at email@example.com.